MUNICIPALITY OF AGOO, LA UNION
General Information and Significant Facts and Data
Income Classification: First Class Municipality
Population (2011): 63,283
Total Number of Households: 11,977
Total Number of Families: 17,834 families.
2010 (Actual) - 155,740,042.94
2011 (Actual) - 168,856,067.45
2012 (Projected) - 170,000,000.00
Total Land Area: 5,118.23 hectares
- Second smallest town in La Union
- During the 16th century, it was one of the largest towns where the Municipalities of Pugo and Tubao were formerly a part of Agoo.
Agoo consists of 49 barangays classified as rural and urban.
- 14 urban barangays with a total land area of 602.79 hectares
- 35 rural barangays with a total land area of 4,515.44 hectares
Geographical Location of Agoo
(Proximity to Major Cities)
Agoo is located
- 35 kilometers south of the RegionalCenter, City of San Fernando
- 49 kilometers west of the Summer Capital, BaguioCity
- 40 kilometers north of DagupanCity
- 235 kilometers north of Manila
Other Important Data
One Town, One Product (OTOP) : Processed mushroom, fruits, fish and vegetables
Major Means of Livelihood: Farming and Fishing
Average Family Monthly Income: P 9,041.00
Percentage of Unemployment: 8.24 %
Poverty Incidence Rate: 23.03%
On the education aspect, the Municipality of Agoo prides itself as the education center in the Second District of La Union. It has:
- a StateUniversity (DMMMSU- SLUC)
- 3 Tertiary Private Schools (PCLU, PCNL, AgooComputerCollege)
- an LGU-operated Vocational School (ATVETC-Agoo Technical and VocationalEducationTrainingCenter)
- 4 Public and 6 PrivateSecondary Schools
- 19 Public and 7 PrivateElementary Schools
- 49 Day Care Centers of 49 barangays
- 19 Public Pre-Schools
- 8 Private Pre-Schools
- 2 District Alternative Learning System Centers
- 1 SPED Center and
- 6 community learning centers
- 3 doctors in the RHU; 1 family physician, 1 endocrinologist who holds a Diabetic Clinic every Wednesday afternoon, 1 Obstetrics-Gynecologist on-call.
- a Municipal Health Unit which now an accredited SentrongSigla and TB DOTS (Direct Observance Treatment Short Course) Center.
- Agoo Maternity and Lying-InCenter (Philhealth Accredited) where birthing is conducted.
- The La Union Medical Center, a 750M European grant with a 100+ bed capacity. It is the most modern provincial hospital north of Manila located in Nazareno, Agoo, La Union. It has 276 personnel with 54 doctors serving the patients from La Union and nearby Provinces of Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur and Mt.Province.
- Aside from this, patients can also avail of the private hospitals, medical and dental clinics located in the various barangays in Agoo.
Agoo has 41 police personnel& 13 trainees, 10 firemen and 16 jail guards. Also, the new Agoo Traffic Management Office (ATMO) has 6 traffic aides and 3 personnel.
Trade and Commerce
Agoo lies at the crossroads of Ilocandia and the MountainProvinces making it a potential hub for development. The municipality also prides itself as the Center of Trade and Commerce in the Second District of La Union. This can be gleaned on the mushrooming business establishments, 9 banking institutions, several lending financial institutions, several food chains and others.
The re-development of the former Imelda Garden now called the Agoo People’s Parkwith the new commercial center has enhanced the economic enterprise, trade and industry of Agoo.
Trade and Industry is further strengthened with the Construction of the new Agoo Hypermarket.Construction of its Phase III is ongoing.
The Municipal Abattoir is rated Class “AA” where pigs, cows and chicken are dressed for sale in the market.
An array of commercial establishment is strategically located along its major and peripheral roads, likewise, sari-sari stores, rice mills, iron works, motor machine shops, drugstores are established in the various barangays.
There are4 big tobaccoredrying companies operating in Sta. Rita Norte namely:
- Universal Leaf Philippines
- Trans Manila
- LancasterPhilippines and
- Allied Tobacotina, Inc.
The Dinengdeng Festival held on May is in celebration of its Patronal Town Fiesta. It aims to promote a healthy lifestyle and also to promote locally grown vegetables cooked in “bagoong” in more than 101 ways.Dinengdeng is a native Ilokano Dish which bespeaks of the Ilocano culture of frugality and simplicity.
Another festival celebrated during the Yuletide Season is the Kilawen Festival which was launched last December 28, 2011. Brainchild of Hon. Congressman Eufranio C. Eriguel, M.D. of the Second District of La Union and Mayor Sandra Y. Eriguel, M.D., it is an activity meant to give thanks to God and the community for all the blessings received by all concerned especially the townspeople of Agoo. The festivity was derived from one of the Ilokanos’ favorite dishes, KILAWEN. Agoeños’ culture and character is closely linked to the sea and the land they work. As the town evolves to progress, Agoeños never forget the nourishment given by their place they called home for centuries.
The Agoo Basilica Shrine of Our Lady of Charity is the biggest and the only BasilicaChurch north of Manila.
A Semana Santa procession of 29 life sized carozas depicting the life and passion of our Lord Jesus Christ is done during the holy week.
Other major tourist spots are:
- Agoo Town Square
- Agila of the North
- Agoo Civic Center
- Agoo Tree House
- Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes
- Apparition Site of the Immaculate Queen of Heaven and Earth
- Plaza de la Virgen
- Philippine-JapanMonument of Peace
- The AgooWelcome Arch
- Agoo-DamortisSeashorePark and
- Eco-Mountain Trail of San Antonio-San Miguel